Sunday, February 20, 2011

Small companions, small defenders

It is comforting to know that the "...Ottawa Police Teddy Bear Program is being re-launched through the generous contributions of staff tips from several downtown Bridgehead Coffee Shops. Staff of Bridgehead Coffee Shops agreed to donate their pennies to purchase teddy bears for children who have been involved in a crisis. The cuddly companion can help ease a child’s stress after a traumatic event."

"The Bear Mission - The plush teddy bears are for officers to use as a therapeutic tool to comfort, console and calm distressed children, since they are often the first to arrive at emergency scenes."


Read the full release:

Ottawa Police Equipped with Cuddly Companions for Children in Need
14/02/2011


This news release comes at a bittersweet time for me.  Seven years ago, after a violent incident in our former home, my children were consoled by the social workers at the Ottawa Police station.  Each child was offered to choose from a selection of stuffed animals.  At that time, there were more than just bears to choose.  The social worker and officer on the case were compassionate enough to abide by my children's wishes to send one of the toys to me as I recovered in the hospital.  This rabbit toy is featured in my short story called Small Defenders.  Writing the story was a form of therapy and a way to thank the many emergency people and members of our community who came to our aid although I was still embarrassed and in disbelief.  The story also features the poorly functioning machines that dole out pain killer dosages as researched in the book The Human Factor by Kim Vicenti

Small Defenders (Short story - Ottawa Jewels 2006 ISBN 1-897357-09-5)
See a PDF version

I am a survivor who is still facing disturbing hurdles.  Being a single parent, it is challenging to cope as I struggle to understand the problems my children experience.  I work hard at "keeping it together".  For the past few weeks, I have been dealing with the long-known fact that my attacker is appealing his sentence and I am now aware there will be a hearing later this month.  Through a technique learned in a support group, I am practicing radical acceptance in knowing that I cannot change reality nor control the outcome of particular situations.  I trust that the issue is in good hands as they review the facts.   

I am also dealing with the reality that the parole board hearings will take place later this year.  To say the least, this drags up bad memories and anxieties.  I started preparing for this over a year ago but lately it has become more of a disturbing reality.  Thank goodness for family, friends and therapy.  I am alive.  I still have my children with me.  I still have my sanity.  I still have that feisty, purple rabbit. 


T

1 comment:

  1. Outcome of the appeal hearing: Dismissed.

    Relief.

    http://www.canlii.org/en/on/onca/doc/2011/2011onca171/2011onca171.html

    T

    ReplyDelete